The death of a Media tycoon and founding Chairman, Daar Communications Limited, Raymond Dokpesi was announced on Monday the 29th of May, 2023.
His death was confirmed in a statement on Monday by his son and Chairman of Daar Communications, Raymond Dokpesi Jnr.
Here are 9 things to know about late Dokpesi
1. He was Born on October 25, 1951.
2. The media tycoon had his early schooling with Loyola College Ibadan and proceeded to Immaculate Conception College in Benin City for his secondary school education. For tertiary education, Dokpesi attended the University of Benin before travelling abroad for Masters and doctorate degrees in Wyzsza Szokta Morska Gdynia and University of Gdansk Sopot in Poland.
3. He worked in Nigerian Ports Authority as Marine Office Cadet in 1969
4. Dokpesi was the first person to get license for private radio broadcast in Nigeria with Raypower 100.5FM. His television station, Africa Independent Television, was the first African broadcast station to transmit to the USA.
5. He served as the Chief of Staff of the Gongola State Government from October to December 1983 and subsequently the Managing Director of African Ocean Line Limited from 1984-1988.
6. He also worked with different government parastatals including the Federal Ministry of Transport and Aviation as the Head of the Water Transport Division on Secondment from Nigerian Ports Plc between 1978-1983.
7. In 2008, Dokpesi was conferred with a National Honour of the Officer of the Federal Republic (OFR).
8. He established the first indigenous shipping line in Nigeria
9. He contracted COVID-19 and survived the global pandemic.