The United Kingdom Department for Education has announced that non-UK nationals can now apply to teach in schools in the UK.
EGALITARIAN VOICE reports that the announcement was made early in the month of December as seen on the UK government’s website for interested non-nationals.
Nigeria has been listed as one of the countries whose citizens can now apply for qualified teacher status through the Teaching Regulation Agency in the United Kingdom, from February 2023.
In order to stand a chance, eligible applicants will be required to have a qualified teacher status (QTS), a qualification awarded by the Teaching Regulation Agency.
Also note that applicants do not need a formal teacher training qualification.
According to the publication however applicants must have “a minimum of two years teaching experience, a first (bachelor’s) degree from a UK or non-UK university, an English language qualification which is the same standard as a grade four General Certificate of Secondary Education, a maths qualification which is the same standard as a grade four GCSE to teach children aged three to 11 in primary school, a physics, chemistry or biology (science) qualification which is the same standard as a grade four GCSE.”
Meanwhile the following are all you need to know to apply to train for an international QTS;
International qualified teacher status (iQTS) is a new teaching qualification backed by the UK government that:
- is delivered online by English teacher training providers in partnership with schools around the world
- meets the same standards as English QTS and leads to the automatic award of QTS.
- is open to all non-UK citizens, and is currently available from six providers, with plans to roll the qualification out more widely from September 2023
- is the only international teacher training course that leads to the automatic award of QTS (other courses may offer valuable training but do not lead to QTS)
When you apply for QTS you will:
- have to pay a fee
- not have to undergo any further training
- not have to visit the UK
For more information on application and eligibility click here